We all know how important it is to floss. Each time you go to the dentist you are asked about it and most people sheepishly admit that they are not very good at flossing. You understand the importance and you actually carry the floss with you, but it is not a habit you have ever gotten into. You need a better solution!
How do you keep your mouth healthy if you are resistant to flossing?
The answer is a Waterpik. If you have tried your best and flossing is not for you… accept it and try an alternative. Did you know that using a Waterpik feels like power washing your mouth? It is not only refreshing and enjoyable but also offers valuable benefits beyond flossing.
What is a Waterpik and how does it benefit your dental hygiene?
A Waterpik is a special machine that directs a stream of water into the mouth and gums. Rather than scraping the teeth to remove plaque, water flossing uses the pressure of the water to massage the gums and push the food away from the teeth. Not only is it easier than flossing, Waterpik’s massage action improves gum health and gets to areas that can’t be reached with traditional floss.
Which is the better dental hygiene approach—flossing or using a Waterpik—when it comes to removing plaque from your teeth?
A number of studies have been done comparing the two and one study found that the group who used the Waterpik had a 74.4 percent reduction in plaque as compared to a 57.7 percent reduction in the group who used the string floss. Another study found that people who used a Waterpik saw a greater reduction in gingivitis and gum bleeding as compared with string floss.
How complicated is it to use a Waterpik?
- You need to be at home and the device requires electric power; after that, it is super easy.
- Fill the receptacle with warm water and a splash of your favorite over-the-counter mouthwash.
- Make sure to lean over the sink before turning on the Waterpik. It can get messy.
- Begin at the back of your mouth, direct the Waterpik to your gumline and pause in between each tooth to insure you get all the plaque.
- Enjoy the massage of the water, the fresh taste of the mouthwash and the cleaning that follows.
- Rinse the receptacle and it’s ready for your next water massage.
Learn more about how to keep your smile healthy and save time and money by spending less time in the dental chair. Click here to download Dr. Robin’s Free Guide article on 5 Steps to a Super Healthy Mouth.